Current:Home > ContactRekubit-The Latest: Hurricane Milton threatens to overshadow presidential campaigning -Capitatum
Rekubit-The Latest: Hurricane Milton threatens to overshadow presidential campaigning
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:58:43
Hurricane Milton is Rekubitthreatening to overshadow presidential campaigning as it menaces Florida.
The storm has already scrambled Donald Trump’s schedule. He put off a virtual event Tuesday night focused on health care and postpone a Univision town hall in Miami. He’s scheduled to be in Pennsylvania on Wednesday.
Vice President Kamala Harris will virtually attend a briefing on the storm and the federal response that President Joe Biden is receiving Wednesday at the White House. Harris plans to head to Nevada and Arizona on Thursday. She spent Tuesday in New York taping interviews on ABC’s “The View,” with radio personality Howard Stern and on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
Follow the AP’s Election 2024 coverage at: https://apnews.com/hub/election-2024.
Here’s the latest:
Biden says Congress needs to step up after Hurricane Helene
President Joe Biden says that the destruction from Hurricane Helene is going to cost billions of dollars that victims will need quickly and that “Congress better be ready to step up to help.”
Biden made the comments in excerpts of his interview recorded Tuesday with theGiro. The excerpts were released as Hurricane Milton threatens to unleash new devastation in Florida.
Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, who replaced him at the top of the Democratic Election Day ticket, have previously criticized former President Donald Trump, now the Republican nominee, for spreading false information about the federal response to Helene.
In the interview excerpts, Biden says that, “A lot of folks are out there spreading lies about what we are not doing, that things are not going well. That we are not responding.”
He responded, “We’ve been completely responsive, and we’ve been ahead of the game.”
Trump schedules rally in New York for end of October
Donald Trump is returning to New York in the race’s final stretch, scheduling a rally at the city’s iconic Madison Square Garden stadium.
Trump is planning his event for Oct. 27, kicking off the final week of campaigning, according to a campaign official familiar with the plans who spoke on condition of anonymity before a formal announcement.
It will be Trump’s second rally in the city he grew up in following a stop in the South Bronx in May.
Trump has claimed he believes he can win New York, even though it is an overwhelmingly Democratic state and the city even more so. But such an event is likely to draw outsized media attention.
The former president is also campaigning this week in other Democratic states, including California and Colorado.
— By Jill Colvin
veryGood! (58876)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Weeks after dancer's death, another recall for undeclared peanuts
- Woman, 71, tried to murder her husband after he got a postcard from decades-old flame: Police
- Ex-Pakistan leader Imran Khan gets 10 years for revealing state secrets, in latest controversial legal move
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Takeaways from the AP’s look at the role of conspiracy theories in American politics and society
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in South Carolina’s Democratic presidential primary
- Everything You Need to Keep Warm and Look Cute During Marshmallow Weather
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- How U.S. Marshals captured pro cyclist Moriah Mo Wilson's killer
Ranking
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- Kat Von D wins lawsuit over Miles Davis tattoo, says her 'heart has been crushed' by trial
- Bud brings back Clydesdales as early Super Bowl ad releases offer up nostalgia, humor, celebrities
- 'Swift Alert' app helps Taylor Swift fans keep up with Eras Tour livestreams
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Taylor Swift, Drake, BTS and more may have their music taken off TikTok — here's why
- Music from Taylor Swift, Bad Bunny, Drake and more could be pulled from TikTok: Here's why
- US worker paycheck growth slowed late last year, pointing to cooling in a very strong job market
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Accused killer of Run-DMC's Jam Master Jay can't have his lyrics used against him, judge rules
Why Keke Palmer Might Be Planning to Quit Hollywood
Taylor Swift AI pictures highlight the horrors of deepfake porn. Will we finally care?
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
Days of Darkness: How one woman escaped the conspiracy theory trap that has ensnared millions
Pregnant Ashley Benson Bares Nearly All in Topless Photo Shoot
Whether You're Rooting for the Chiefs or the 49ers, These Red Lipsticks Are Kiss-Proof